Niagara from Canada

July 23-31, 2012
(Catching up but still having fun.)

Youngstown, NY
Four Mile Creek State Park (NY) site 65

This will be three days in a row that we have played tourist at Niagara Falls and we lived through it.  This was also the day of closing on the sale of our house so we had that in the back of our minds all day.  We all piled in to our Suki and rode over the Rainbow Bridge to Canada for the afternoon and evening.  The Falls are illuminated at night and fireworks were also scheduled.
Under the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara-Canada   American Falls-Niagara Canada

We had always heard that the view of the Falls were prettier from Canada so we had to check it out.  It was very crowded but beautiful! 
Niaga Falls from Canada

American Falls from Canada Horseshoe Falls from Canada

We all got our obligatory posed pictures taken…
Goofy Dan and Tricia  Brandon and Amanda

Gin and Syl

and continued walking towards Horseshoe Falls.
American Falls-Canada  Horseshoe Falls -Canada

There’s a very nice Observation Gazebo about halfway to Horseshoe Falls and this is the Rainbow Bridge between Canada and the US.
Observation Gazebo  Rainbow Bridge from Canada

I have not taken my morning power walks while visiting here because I knew that I would get plenty of exercise as a tourist.  We continue on and got closer to Horseshoe Falls.
Horseshoe Falls-Canada

Remember that bridge we drove across?  It’s a little farther away now.
American Falls from Canada

We made it to the edge of Horseshoe Falls.  I could have stood there for hours just watching all that water cascade down.  About 90 percent of the volume of water here goes over Horseshoe while the other 10 percent goes over American Falls.  I can still hear it and feel the sheer power!
Top of Horseshoe Falls-Canada  Top of Horseshoe Falls-Canada

After this crowded walk to Horseshoe, we started walking back the other way to find a place to eat supper and people watch before the illumination and fireworks began.  The Canadian side of the Falls is quite different from the US side.  The view of the Falls is nicer and it is more manicured but also more expensive and more crowded.  I’m glad we did both, but I’m not sure which side I liked better.  Here is the Niagara Parks Police building in Ontario and some of the beautiful flowers which are all around the place.
Niagara Park Police Building-Canada  Pretty gardens

Gin and I stayed in Canada to watch the fireworks while Tricia, Dan, Brandon and Amanda walked over the bridge and stood in two countries to watch the fireworks.  We picked them up just as we reentered the country.

I want to leave you with one last beautiful shot.  In my next post, I’ll tell you the rest of the story…
Our Camera