{Love} Month: Ruffled Tuxedo Front Shirt



I made this cute little shirt to go with the
{The Isabella} Pleated Flounce Skirt
I made for my Isabella back in January.
I knew that since I used my favorite Riley Blake fabric for the
skirt that I would save it to be worn for Valentine's Day.
This weekend when we went to Knott's Berry Farm I
thought it would be the perfect time to debut the cute little skirt.
However, she needed a shirt to go with it!





In keep with the pleated idea of the skirt,
I wanted something pleated or ruffled for the front of the shirt.
I used the same technique for the shirt that I use for my Ruffled Headbands.


HOW I DID IT
I figured out that I wanted my ruffle to be 4" long,
so I doubled the length and added a 1/2" for folding under the ends.

Then I decided how wide I wanted the ruffle to be and added
a 1/2" so that I could do a narrow hem on each side for finishing.
If you have a serger or want a frayed effect, you can do that too.

So, I ended up with a piece of fabric that was about 8.5"x4".



First I did a narrow hem down each long side of the strip -
ie fold over an 1/8", iron, fold over an 1/8", iron, and edge stitch.

Then I ran my gather stitch up the middle and gathered/ruffled my fabric..

Next, I laid a remnant piece of single fold bias tape down the middle.
I used the bias tape because I had it and it matched :)
You could easily use ribbon, twill tape, ric rac or a strip of fabric.

I pinned the bias tape down and sewed it to the ruffle with an edge stitch.

Then, I found 3 cute buttons and sewed them in place.

I ironed a piece of fusible interfacing that was slightly larger than my ruffle
to the inside of the shirt.
I used the lightweight fusible interfacing because I already had some,
but you could use that or stabilizer.

Finally I sewed the ruffle to the front of the shirt by edge stitching
around all four sides of the ruffle.


Now we have a fun, sassy shirt that matches her flouncy skirt!