Meet Artist Jenny Elkins


I am just so so happy to be able to finally share one of my favorite gals with everyone! You may have seen Jenny's name or button on my side bar over the past few months. She has been a repeat sponsor of Everyday is a Holiday and I'm thrilled to have her. I am just so happy to be linked to this super talented gal who also happens to have a heart of gold. I first fell in love with Jenny's folk art a few years ago...gosh, I think it may have been through ebay! I loved her use of antique photos in her art. And what really grabbed me was the great sense of humor in everything she does.  As I've come to find over the years, our world is not nearly as big as it once seemed. Especially in the art community. After first connecting through artwork alone Jenny and me crossed paths again via etsy, and then on facebook. 
I now count Jenny as a dear friend.  She sent me and Aaron the sweetest care package ever right after the Hurricane. Each item in the box was straight from the heart. She even sent three apples! Which made me cry! I cried when I saw those apples...3 of them! One for me, Aaron and my lil brother Walt.  Jenny is a really good apple herself! And I think you should know her! 

Here's a little Q & A...

What is your name and where are you from? Age range... ?

Name: Jenny Elkins   Business name:  Jenny Elkins Studio  From:  Irvington, Indiana  Age:  48






What do you do? When did you start?
I am a picker and an artist.  I have been making art and craft as long as I can remember.  I made little doll houses out of shoe boxes with my Grandmother when I was a child.  My Mom and Dad were both creative and it felt natural to make things.  I have gone through many changes creatively over the years.  For about 10 yeras I made little white paper mache cats that I sold all over the couhtry to gift shops and catalogs.  During that time I went to art school and focused on printmaking, furniture and book binding.  I opened a retail shop, sold wholesale, did art fairs and then once the shop closed I was clued into Teesha Moores work that led me into mixed media collage work.  Lately, I have found I enjoy making dolls and sewing more than collage.  I just love the process of working with my hands.  October 1st I opened another etsy shop so far I have listed some of the leftovers from the show I have annually in my backyard, A Fair in September.  I have so much to list I can't keep up with it all.  I hope to make some new items once I get my studio together.   Im also very fond of all things vintage. I love the thrill of the hunt!!!!  Old objects and art go together beautifully.  I maintain a antique space south of Indy in Edinburgh, Indiana at Exit 76 Antique Mall and I sell vintage on my etsy shop 

 

What/Who are you inspired by?

There have been so many inspirations through the years.  In art shcool I LOVED Jim Dine's work.  I enjoy many artists work that are working today and am inspired by the their work ethic and drive.  My real inspiration for colors and trends use to come from all the magazines I have loved through the years that have gone away with the recession such as Country Home and Home Companion I still flip through those mags today.  Love little Antique shops, stores and now Pinterest.    




Where do you create? home studio? kitchen table? sofa?
Since my early 30's I have maintained an art studio outside of my house with the exception of 3 years ago....my husband and I moved to Irvington, Indiana a quaint historic neighborhood just outside of downtown Indianapolis.  I was trying to cut costs and worked out of my house until....I realized I was working out of the front porch, entry way,kitchen, dining room and an upstaris bedroom.  So, I went on a search for something close to home, affordable and big enough that it wouldn't feel like I was working in a storage unit.  I got a great deal on a little property close to home and I am currently fixing it up so I can work there.  Follow me on my blog to see what I have done so far. 



 Favorite art supplies?



Do you collect anything?

When I was 18 (30 years ago) I bought my first white vase.  Now, I have a rule if I can't fit it in the china cabinet that is an old family piece then I have to get rid of a piece I don't love as much.  Since I re-sell vintage I can collect everything and I don't have to find a place in my house for it.  I love little busts, old needlepoint pictures, dolls, old signs, painted chipped furniture and little bassett hound figurines. 


What are some of your fave movies/shows/bands/music?

I love chick flicks!  You know girl meets boy.  I love a lot of music esp if there is an accordian playing.  We have some local groups here in Indianapolis that my husband and enjoy Reverend Peyton and the Big Damn Band, Born Again Floosies, The Polka Boys, Lesiure Kings and of course my nephews band, Circle City Deacons. 



Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
This is one career that you can change and grow and never ever retire from.



Three favorite websites/blogs/shops...etc?

I have a big list of blogs I follow on the side of my blog.  Mostly women and all who I feel some sort of connection too.  Some I have been friends with for years and some I have never met but, would love to.  


Anything you'd like to add?

Being an artist is a great lifestyle.  I appreciate it more and more everyday.  The people I have met through shows, through my store, through the internet all because we are artists and love art, craft, vintage.  It has given me the flexibility I need to be the wife, the daughter, the aunt, and the doggie mama I need to be.