Last Few Days

Stix n Brix
Clayton, NC

It’s getting really close now.  It really hit me about a week or so ago.  I only have a couple more days in uniform so I’m savoring it.  I can already tell that when I get ready to put it on again Thursday morning for the last time, I will have mixed emotions.  When I take it off that evening, I won’t.  I’ll only be relieved.  It has been interesting to know that this will be my last Sunday of work.  I’m just not good enough with words to describe how I feel.  I will miss a lot of aspects of the job certainly, but I can hardly wait to shed many other aspects.  The people I work with are fantastic.  I know that I will probably never see many of them again and that’s sad.

September 11, 2010 003

I’ve been assigned to the Front Desk of the Downtown District for the past year and a half.  I’ve spent most of my career working in the office instead of on patrol.  No it’s not as glamorous as the real cops and robbers game out there, but it’s a job that not everyone can do.  Here’s a shot of the desk and several cars lined up for a biannual inspection.

IMG_1173  IMG_1179

Raleigh is known as the City of Oaks sort of like New York City is the Big Apple.  On New Years Eve, the count down drops a big Acorn.  This is the view from the front door of the station.  There is the new Downtown Arena and the Civic Center with a shimmer wall depicting an oak tree.  They have a few concerts there during the summer.

IMG_1108  IMG_1170

It’s really pretty at night when they have different color lights reflecting on it.  Often times, people will just pull their car over and take pictures of it.  Raleigh really is a nice city to live if you like an urban environment.

IMG_1109

But I’m ready to move on to the next stage of life.  I’ve come to realize that you spend the first 20 years or so learning about living, your next 30 years or so earning a living, and the rest of your life living with gusto.  Now it’s gusto time!

Thanks for dropping by, and enjoy each day of your life’s journey by finding beauty in the ordinary.